Day 1: 2x flat water sessions. First season on the Wairoa River in Bethlehem which is all about flat water skills and the basics which includes propper wing paddle technique. We will also set you up in your kayak and check your equipment. The second session is on the lower Kaituna River and an introduction to moving water technique which includes eddy turns and railing.
Day 2: on the Tarawera River in Kawerau. This is a pure whitewater day in our plastic whitewater kayaks. It's a fun day as we teach you all of the required paddling skills in the safety of a bulletproof kayak (saves you damaging your multisport yak). We supply everyone with a yak, paddle, and spray skirt. You will need your own helmet, jacket, and plenty of food as we burn a lot of energy.
Day 3: on the Waioeka River near Opotiki. This is grade 2 water in your multisport yaks and is a lot of fun. We do two, 12km laps of the river, with the first being mostly about learning, and the second about taking charge and using race lines. By the end of the day you should feel confident paddling your multisport kayak in any grade 2 river.
Please note: while this is a 3-day course don't expect to learn everything. Whitewater is an extremely complex beast and it's a hard ask to learn how to learn how to paddle in in such a short time. Our goal is to build you up as a paddler and the Coast to Coast organisers have tasked us with insuring you're as safe as possible when you hit the Waimak river. Please don't be frustrated or offended if we don't pass you, it's simply part of the journey and any extra time you have on the water with us should be considered a bonus.
- This course is run by Tim Taylor who is an approved supplier for the Coast to Coast race and is fully certified under the Adventure Regulations by QSI.
- Kayak: this course is done in both whitewater and multisport kayaks - we supply the whitewater kayaks but you will need your own multisport kayak.
- Package Deal: we are the only supplier in NZ that can offer a complete multisport package for kayak, cert and equipment. You will enjoy a significant discount. Please enquire for prices
- Location: rivers throughout the Bay of Plenty. You will need your own transport.
- Times: 3 days - one on flat water, two on whitewater (more if necessary but at extra cost).
- Equipment: you will need your own personal kit - paddle, helmet etc.
- Extra days: if you require an extra day or two to pass, this will be charged at the discounted rate of $150/day.
2020 Dates and times
Starting in January 2020 we will be running our grade 2 certs from a Wednesday-Friday every 2 weeks (with a few exceptions). As people book on a daily basis please enquire about availability on specific course dates.
- 29th - 31st Jan
- 12th - 14th Feb
- 26th - 28th Feb
- 11th - 13th March
- 25th - 27th March
- 8th - 10th April
- 22nd - 24th April
- 6th - 8th May
- 20th - 22nd May
- 3rd - 5th June
- 17th - 19th June
- 1st - 3rd July
- 15th - 17th July
- 29th - 31st July
- 12th - 14th August
- 26th - 28th August
- 9th - 11th Sept
- 23rd - 25th Sept
- 7th - 9th Oct
- 21st - 23rd Oct
Book this course...
To book this course or to find out more please send me an email or pick up the phone and either call or text me on 027 668 9904. I'm often out paddling so I'll get back to you as soon as I hit dry land.